The Holmes County Sheriff's Office
Sheriff's Sales of Real Estate and Property
SHERIFF SALES OF REAL ESTATE
Sheriff Sales of real estate are ordered by the Court of Common Pleas by a foreclosure action filed by the Plaintiff.
As of 09/28/2016 according to Guidelines Established in HB 390 the Plaintiff has the Option of Using Either the Sheriff’s Office or a Private Selling Officer to Conduct Foreclosure Actions. Sales are advertised and conducted in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code and order of the Court. Location of Sales Conducted by a Private Selling Officer will be determined by the Private Selling Officer.
Beginning on August 22, 2022, the Holmes County Sheriff's Office will conduct the sale of all real estate subject to foreclosure on the "Official Public Sheriff's Sale Website" which is operated by Realauction based on a contract with the Ohio Department of Administrative Services. The process and procedures under which these sales will be completed are detailed at the Realauction website https://holmes.sheriffsaleauction.ohio.gov. All prospective bidders should familiarize themselves with this new process.
In general the following key points are noted:
- All person(s) who want to bid on a property offered by the Holmes County Sheriff's Office must register with Realauction. Registration will include completion of the Purchaser Information Form.
- Properties will be open for bid, at least seven days immediately prior to the date of sale. This is generally known as a proxy bid.
- Sales will be scheduled for Thursday's at 10:00a.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST), the online auction will begin at that time. Auctions will be conducted for each individual property; however only one property will be sold at a time. After a property is sold the next scheduled property sale will begin.
- To be a qualified participant, bidders must submit a deposit based on the total deposit requirement ($2,000/$5,000/$10,000 set by law) for all properties on which the bidder wishes to bid by the predefined deadlines. The only acceptable deposit types are bank wire transfer or ACH, no cash deposits will be accepted. All Wire Deposits must be received by 5 p.m. EST two (2) business days before the auction sale date. It is the responsibility of the bidder to plan ahead and allow enough time for their bidding deposits to be received and processed within the time frames described above.
- Plaintiff/Judgment Creditors - A Judgment Creditor is defined as the creditors (plaintiff or defendants) who are awarded judgment in the foreclosure case. Judgment Creditors are required to register for a Username and Password and fill in all the appropriate fields. Per Ohio Revised Code 2329.211, in every action of Judicial Sale or Execution of residential property, if the Judgment Creditor is the purchaser, they shall not be required to make a deposit on the sale. Howerver, Judgment Creditors are required to submit the bidding style choice (pre-sale manage bid or live bid) AND a copy of the court order stating they are the Judgment Creditor on the case they are bidding to Realauction Customer Service (email@example.com) at least one (1) business day prior to the sale date. Submission can be done via email or fax. Submission must include the bidder number and user account contact first and last name in the submission. For more information and training on requirements to participate in the online auctions as a Plaintiff/Judgment Creditor, please call (877)361-7325 ext 245 or 246.
NOTICE: Tax sales, Tax Lien Certificate Sales and Probate Sales will continue to be sold on location until further notice at the Holmes County Courthouse, 1 East Jackson Street, Third (3) Floor, Millersburg, Ohio 44654
Realauction will conduct webinar training classes. Training classes will be held via the Internet on a regular schedule. These webinar classes generally last 90 minutes and specifically cover the use of the software. Attendance is by registration only.
For additional information or to register for a webinar, please contact the Realauction Customer Service at (954)734-7401 or toll free at (877)361-7325. Customer Service can also be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sheriff sales of real estate handled through the Holmes County Sheriff’s Office will be advertised in the Holmes County Bargain Hunter at least three (3) consecutive weeks prior to the date of sale. Sale ads, may also be viewed on the Bargain Hunter website at www.holmesbargainhunter.com in the classified section.
All properties offered for sale will be advertised with two sale dates. The first sale will be offered for 2/3 of the appraised value. In the event there are “no bids”, the property will revert to the second sale date and be sold for a “minimum bid” as established through local rules of the Holmes County Common Pleas Court. This does not apply to tax foreclosure sales.
Tax Foreclosure sales will be sold for all delinquent taxes up to the Day of the Sale, plus all costs of the sale, including any additional cost of the deed processing. Any additional taxes due past the date of sale will be assessed to the new owner. (Tax foreclosures are not appraised, unless ordered by the court and are not sold for the 2/3 minimum bid amount.) 100% of the purchase price is due by 3pm the day of the sale.
As of September 11,2008, recording and conveyance fees for deeds will be paid from the down payment and purchasers will be required to submit repayment of these fees with the balance of the sale proceeds when they are delivered to the sheriff.
Foreclosure Sale Terms: The Following is the down payment schedule for 3rd party purchasers only:
If the appraised value of the property is:
$10,000.00 or less – down payment=$2,000.00
$10,001.00 to $200,000.00 – down payment = $5,000.00
$201,000.00 and above – down payment = $10,000.00
Tax foreclosure sale terms: are 100% of the successful bid price by cash or cashier’s check by 3pm the day of the sale. Tax foreclosure proceedings do not allow for the collection of a 10% down payment.
Notice to the public: please note that appraisals will not have an inside inspection of the property. Therefore, the Sheriff of Holmes County and the appraisers are not liable for the condition of said property.
Notice to potential buyers: all Sheriff sales of real estate conducted by the Sheriff of Holmes County are sold as is or “buyer beware”. Properties are not open for inspection at any time prior to or after the sale, unless so ordered by the court. The Sheriff does not hold keys to properties offered for sale. The Sheriff of Holmes County does not offer or provide any guarantees or warranties to any properties offered for sale. The Sheriff of Holmes County cannot provide legal advice to potential buyers of property offered for sale. All legal advice should be directed to the potential buyer’s respective legal counsel. Public notice is hereby given that all such real property to be sold at public auction may be subject to a federal tax lien that may not be extinguished by the sale, and purchasers of any such real property are urged to search the federal tax lien index that is kept by the County Recorder to determine if notice of the federal tax lien has been filed with respect to any such real property.
For questions regarding current Sheriff sales, please contact Sergeant Roger Sprowl at (330)674-1936, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.